Tom Allen KC
Called to the Bar - 1994
Queen's Counsel - 2015 | King's Counsel - 2022
"Very sharp and on top of his game."
"Knowledgeable, approachable, technically gifted and a great jury advocate."
"Very impressive, client-friendly, smart and gets to the nub of the issue."
"He combines commercial acumen and diligence with being utterly down to earth, which puts High Net Worth clients at their ease even when facing the gravest of allegations. He displays great tactical nous and common sense, and blends these skills with welcome affability, making him a sought-after leader when the chips are down.”
- Chambers & Partners - Ranked in Band 1 for Financial Crime
"Incredibly bright and a commanding presence in court"
- Legal 500
Tom Allen specialises in cases of commercial and business crime and financial regulation. He acts for companies and individuals in domestic and international matters involving allegations of fraud, bribery, corruption, and money laundering.
He also appears in other regulatory and disciplinary proceedings and in matters of sports law.
Consistently praised in the legal directories, he is a notably powerful jury advocate.
Tom also undertakes complex advisory work. He is an innovative strategic thinker with extensive experience of assisting in the early stages of investigation.
Bribery and Corruption
Recent instructions include multiple SFO investigations into cross-jurisdictional bribery and corruption offences.
- Represented David Lufkin, global head of sales at Petrofac, in connection with bribery allegations relating to the obtaining of contracts worth $8bn and the payment of bribes of over $80m across three jurisdictions.
- Defended English QC in Trinidad, charged with entering a corrupt agreement with a former Attorney General.
- Advising a listed company in respect of corporate criminal liability for bribery across multiple jurisdictions.
- Successfully defended the CEO of Guralp Systems Ltd in respect of bribery allegations relating to business in South Korea.
- Advising directors about allegations of corruption in connection with numerous SFO investigations, including Rolls Royce PLC.
- Successfully defended trader alleged to have defrauded Otkritie Bank of $150m.
- Successfully defended the CEO of an international mining company in SFO proceedings relating to s.2 powers.
- Instructed in LIBOR and EURIBOR proceedings.
- Advising directors in connection with fraud allegations by SFO relating to Serco and G4S.
- Acted in Deripaska v Chernukhin criminal litigation.
- Advising Premier League football club in connection with an ongoing HMRC investigation into payment of VAT.
- Instructed to defend in film financing fraud.
- Recently instructed in Guernsey FSC hearings into a series of collapsed cross-border investment funds.
- Acted in multiple FRC cases, including acting against PwC (auditors for JP Morgan) for failure to notice the non-segregation of up to $23bn of client funds over a period of seven years.
Disciplinary and Sports
- Instructed in proceedings brought by British Rowing (Olympic selection) and British Fencing (allegations of racism).
- Acted in disciplinary proceedings relating to barristers, accountants, solicitors, architects, and surveyors.